This scared Sikh shrine is situated on the shores of the Hemkund lake (4320mtrs). It marks the place where Guru Govind Singh, the tenth and last Guru, unified with God after prolonged meditation in his previous birth. The guru's autobiography which contains a description of the place helped two devout Sikhs, Sant Sohan Singh and Havldar Mohan singh to rediscover it. According to Hindu mythology, Hemkund or Lokpal as it is also known, is where Lakshman had done his enance.
Hemkund Sahib Opening Date: Hemkund Sahib Open Date 25th May 2017
Hemkund is a 15km trek from Govindghat, which is the gateway to the
Bhyundar or Lakshman Ganga valley. Govindghat is one of the bus route to
Badrinath. The trek from here to Hemkund takes one through forests of
pine and rhododendron where wild roses, ferns and alpine flowers bloom.
The surging waters of the Lakshman Ganga are also visible. The last 5km
of the trek entails a steep climb from Ghangharia, which is a base for
Hemkund Lake is about 2km in circumference. Its clear, still waters mirror images of the Saptashringa Peaks (5500mtrs) which surround it. Bits of ice still float on the waters between July and October, the best season to visit Hemkund. The rockstrewn shores of the lake are covered with moss and flowers in bloom.
Hemkund Sahib Trek Short Brief Itinerary
Day 01: Rishikesh - Joshimath (265kms/8hr)
Day 02: Joshimath - Govind Ghat (22kms drive) - Ghangaria (13kms/5hrs Trek)
Day 03: Ghangaria - Hemkund Sahib - Ghangaria (5.5kms/5hr each side)
Day 04: Ghangaria - Valley of Flower - Ghangaria (5-7kms/3hr each side)
Day 05: Ghangaria - Govindghat (13kms trek down) - Rudraprayag (145kms/5hr)
Day 06: Rudraprayag - Rishikesh - (140kms/5hr)
Morning, drive straight to Joshimath enroute visit Deoprayag, Rudraprayag & Karnprayag. On Arr. Joshimath, Check in Hotel. Overnight stay.
Joshimath: Adi Guru Shankaracharya, who came all the way from Kerels in the 8th Century A.D, perform penance under a tree here and after getting enlightenment, established a Math (religious centre), known as "Joshimath". The name Joshimath is derived from it. Temple of Narsingh and Nav Durga are located here.
Drive to Govindghat, Trek Start from here to Ghangaria (3000 mts). Check in Hotel. Ghangharia/Govinddham , situated in the midst of a pine grove Ghangharia serves asa base for visiting Hemkund Shaib. It is the last human habitation in the valley. A tourist Lodge, log huts, tents and a Gurudwara provide comfortable accommadition.
Early morning, trek start from here to Hemkund Sahib. Return back to Ghangaria after Darshan. Overnight stay. Gurudwara Hemkund Shaib : This imposing star-shaped structure of stone and concrete masonry is one the shores of the lake. An outlet behind the Gurudwara is source of the Lakshman Ganga. Temple of Lord Lakshman : A small temple nearby, dedicated to Lord Lakshman.
Valley of Flower was discovered by Frank Smith while on the Expedition to Mt. Kamet. This picturesque Valley covered by rare species of flowers & a wide variety of Butterflies, Musk Deer, Thar & serow are found here. Back to Ghangaria.
After 13 Kms trek from Ghangaria to Govind Ghat, drive to Rudraprayag from Govind Ghat. Check in Hotel. Overnight stay.
Early morning, Drive to Rishikesh. Arrival at Rishikesh tour end.
1. All land transfers in vehicle from Haridwar/Rishikesh Railway station and back as per itinerary.
2. 05 night accommodation as per itinerary on double sharing basis.
3. All meals for the trip duration as per itinerary.
4. Entry fee for Valley of Flowers as applicable.
5. Fully escorted trek with local trekking guide.
1. Travel Insurance or any other kind of insurance(Trekkers are advised to obtain applicable insurance on their own).
2. Costs and expenses for medical treatment in case of evacuation or in case of any medical condition or emergency or otherwise for any reason.
3. Any accommodation, travel or transport outside of the above itinerary for any reason.
4. Single supplement or request for accommodation on twin sharing basis will be charged extra.
5. Hire charges for mules if hired by trekkers for personal luggage or personal ride.
6. Rope way, chair-lift or other charges for sightseeing in Auli or Joshimath.
7. Meals other than Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner as indicated in the itinerary or charges for mineral water, other beverages or drinks.
8. Any expense of personal nature or any gifts, tips or donations.
9. Any drinks, tips for the guide and porter etc.
10. Any other cost or expense which is not specifically included in the price inclusion.